Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fancy That Fireplace

When we moved into our house almost six years ago, our little cape was anything but cozy. One of the things that added to the "anything but" feeling in the home was the fireplace. It had dark brick and an even darker and OLD faux stone hearth. U-G-L-Y!


For the first five years of our time here I contemplated painting the brick... but my husband wasn't a fan of the idea. After being in the real estate world, he worried that when it came time to sell, buyers wouldn't be happy that they couldn't reverse my lighter and brighter painted brick.

I guess you could say that after five years of staring at the dark brick I came to despise it... so when my husband out bringing home the bacon, I made a quick trip to the store to pick up some paint. I painted the brick four different colors before settling on the bright and crisp snowflake white that currently covers the fireplace. I have to say I'm quite pleased with it.


Doesn't it seem that one project always leads to another? Well, this quick fix fireplace makeover sure did. Now that the white paint had brought new life to our living room, it also made the old faux stone on the hearth look twice as dingy... so off to Lowe's I went to check out the clearance stone. Keep in mind I had NEVER tiled before and I certainly didn't have the tools to cut tile so I had to get creative. With more help from my friends "trial and error" (and a panicked call to a friend for some advice on grouting) I made it through and got the tiles down. It's definitely not perfect-- the border around the tiles is a bit amateur and the tiles aren't exactly straight... but as we've heard in the DIY blog world before, "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."


P.S. Our sunroom (which is also my office) has that same red faux mosaic brick. I'm thinking about painting the floor but I'm not sure that's the best way to go. I know it needs to be covered. What do you think about floor paint?

Link from here to Funky Junk Interior's SNS #49 for more featured fireplaces.


3 comments:

  1. Hi- Your fireplace looks great! So bright and fresh with the coat of paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie! I'll be adding some Fall touches to it soon, just like you did. I love Fall! Thanks for the add and I just became your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a transformation! Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It's very nice to meet you.

    Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete