Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Back In the Black

I've been a bad blogger lately. I got pretty sick last week/weekend coupled with a very busy work week, so my little ol' blog got neglected. But I'm back! And if you haven't figured this out by now, paint is my best friend... so I'm back and I'm up to my elbows in black paint once again.

Years ago, when I first moved out of my parents house at age 19, I bought my first home... well, town home. The downstairs was lacking some storage space in the dining room but I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a fancy hutch so I picked up something on the cheap.

(Try to ignore the white trash can on top of the cabinet! Those were the days that our sweet puppy got into EVERYTHING!)

It was actually a portion of an entertainment unit. Apparently, the other two pieces were damaged so I think I paid 30 bucks for it.

Well, years later, I'm using the 'el chepo' cabinet to store all of our towels and linens since our 1950's cape is lacking in the linen closet area.

As I was painting all of my doors black, I made a split decision to slap on black paint to the linen closet stand-in. I figured I couldn't make the fake wood look any worse, right?

So, here she is mid-paint job. You can see the wood grain on the bottom half and the fresh coat of paint on the top.



And here she is all done.


A nice, free makeover (since I already had the paint leftover from the doors and I reused the hardware that was originally on the cabinet.)

Don't you just love a free makeover?



P.S.: I'm linking back to this paint party:
Power of Paint Party

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Kate! I just "followed" your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a difference a little paint makes. Black was a good choice!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! what a cool transformation! Did you sand and prime it before you put on the black paint?

    Great informative blog! I'm now your latest follower.
    Rambles with Reese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guys! Thanks for the comments and following me!
    @shopgirl: Actually, when I bought the paint for my doors I paid the few dollars extra to have the primer mixed in. I was a bad little blogger and didn't sand it. It really didn't need it. I did seal it with a coat of satin poly though to seal it.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cabinet in black. It looks like the perfect fit. Nice blog - I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lindy! Thanks so much for the great comments and the add. I'm glad you found me :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the black cabinet is looking so good, its a beauty and i love it, with proper height and width, it makes a great place for display adn storage in a home!!

    x0x0x0 AboutCabients Blog

    ReplyDelete