Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Living Room Reveal

As I have mentioned before, when we first moved into our house, I bought super big furniture. We also got the entire house painted in colors that seemed like a good idea at the time, but as time passed, the bright color coupled with "I'm-to-big-for-this-space" furniture made it feel like the walls were closing in on us.


As you can see in the picture below, our over-stuffed chair really didn't even fit in the room; in fact, it spilled into the alcove that leads to our front door. Anytime a pizza delivery person or anyone else that wouldn't know that we don't use that door, would come to house, we'd basically have to climb over the chair and ottoman.



And, would you take a look at those ugly curtains! These were left from the previous owners and I just never took the time get rid of them. The curtains were hung too low so it made the ceiling look very low-- and the color was just as bad.

You can see that the fireplace was in need of some TLC so I decided to brighten it up with a little bit of paint (read about the fireplace makeover here.)


Everything was just too dark...

So after Kevin and Layla Palmer of "The Lettered Cottage" paid our home a visit to redo our master bedroom, I just knew the rest of the house would be getting a makeover very soon. I posted our living room furniture on Craig's List and within a couple of hours I had an empty space.


Here are some pics of our new space:



We painted the room in the same color that Layla choose for our bedroom: Benjamin Moore's Cream Fleece.
Our new sofa came from Haverty's.
The side tables and coffee table are made from old luggage (more about that here.)
And the shutters came from a small local antique shop (read more about the shutters here.)
Even though we needed to scale down the size of everything in our living room, we really didn't want to sacrifice comfort. When we got rid of our overstuffed chair and ottoman, I wanted to make sure I provided us with a sufficient substitute. I bought two white slipcovered Ektorp chairs from Ikea... and if you peek behind the white chairs into the alcove, you'll notice a blue and white square. Those are actually two storage ottomans that I ordered from Target online. These ottomans' are great because they have many uses. When we want to lounge around on a rainy day, they are light enough to grab it and toss it in front of one of the chairs; when I'm entertaining, they make great extra seating; and when they are hanging out in the alcove they make a great bench as we put on our shoes... and let's not forget the awesome storage it provides!

The tan curtains are drop clothes (you know the ones that you use to cover your floors when you're painting! That's a little trick I learned from Layla!) and the blue curtains are twin sheets from Walmart. Who needs to pay a bunch of money for curtains?

The New England landscapes that hang above our sofa are photos that we snapped on a recent trip to my hometown of Gloucester, MA. We had them made into canvas prints through Canvas on Demand. There services can be a little pricey but we scored a great deal through Groupon. Now each time that I glance as these pictures it brings me back to the crisp New England fall days that I experienced as a child.


And the sconces on either side were once an ugly animal print. I just spray painted the glass and then rubbed some brown shoe polish in spots to scuff it up a bit.


Welcome to our home-- my new living room makes me smile.




P.S.  I'm linking to the following party:

Pic+for+Body+of+Blog3.jpg


9 comments:

  1. Hey - I just found you through your post on Facebook. The living room looks great - so much more open and airy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been fun visiting your home during the transformation and watching it all firsthand. Good job, darlin. It looks very beautiful and you should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I miss something? How did you get Layla to comr to your house?? jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a change. I love the shutters. It looks like an entirely different room. How did you get the Lettered Cottage to your house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy! Thanks so much! Not sure if your remember when Layla and Kevin were on TV last December? We produced a segment with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a dramatic difference. Both before and after were pretty, but your new furniture is much better suited to your space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love your new room! Esp the shutters and the arched doorways in the space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there~ Your living room looks so great~ really inviting and warm! Love the shutters and the arched doorway! Beautiful!! Thanks for joining Feathered Nest Friday and sharing this gorgeous room!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful! The shutters are a great touch (:

    Stopping by from Between Naps on the Porch
    ~Michaela

    ReplyDelete