Monday, September 27, 2010

Making a Mobile

I had a pretty busy summer between traveling to Tennessee to visit Brandon's family; planning and coordinating a few weddings including one in Lake George, NY and planning a couple baby showers for friends of mine (see the favors that I made for Lis' shower in honor of Baby Trey here); but somehow I managed to squeeze in a little time to whip up a handmade mobile for Baby Eliza.
Here it is hanging in the room.




(Above photo courtesy of GrantDeb Photography)


Baby Eliza joined the world almost seven weeks ago. I think it coordinates perfectly with the other mobile that they picked up at Babies R' Us... and I didn't even know that they had purchased this.


(Photo courtesy of Grant and Deb Photography)
(And while we are at it, I must mention that Grand and Deb are fabulous photographers if you are looking for one!)

How I Made it:
I used the inner hoop of a crochet circle. I used the inner one so I didn't have to worry about disguising the metal latch.

First, I spray painted the hoop white.

Then, I used this flower punch.
I layered and glued together both green and pink flowers so each flower had more than one dimension.
Then, I threaded the flowers (I actually alternated a flower and a white polka-dot) onto fishing wire using a sewing needle and attached each strand of four flowers and three polka-dots to the white hoop.

After hanging all twelve strands, I attached some pink ribbon to the top and it was done.

Note: It is important to note that you have to balance the strands. Make sure that the strands that hang directly across from one another mimic one another.

I think this would be a great project to try with starfish for a beach themed nursery or a little boys room.
Good luck!

P.S. Linking back to this party:
The Girl Creative
Me and My Bucket
All Thingz Related  

5 comments:

  1. I love your mobile! I mean really Love it! Very clever and So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there "oops"! Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like it! It was a lot of fun to make! I love your blog and just became a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so beautiful. I must recruit you when I'm shopping for baby shower gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice job! Thanks for stopping by and linking to Anything Related!
    ~Rebekah~

    ReplyDelete