Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sideboard CPR

When my friend Ashley over at It Rocks To Be A Knox was decorating her little boy's nursery she found an awesome antique sideboard that she turned into a changing table.



You can see her sideboard turned changing table in the right corner. 


 Isn't her nursery just darling?
Well, a few months ago Ashley left my house and made an impromptu stop at a thrift store.  She found another sideboard that was very similar to her changing table so she scooped it up for $30 bucks.  Since she brought it home, it's been in her laundry room housing some mason jars and other vases.  She just never got around to fixing it up.

Then, this past weekend Ash and I decided to spend our Saturday morning hitting up some awesome yard sales (I'll show you my great yard sale finds later this week).  

I happened to mention to Ash  that I was on the lookout for a small dresser or sideboard for my living room.  She generously offered up her thrift store find for the same price she snagged it for.  Thanks Ash!

Saturday afternoon, I took this baby home.


It was in need of some major TLC but Ashley and I knew some hard work could bring it back to life.  It was missing a knob, the finish was scratched up and it was even missing a back and the magnetic door closure. In the picure below you can see that the door went in way too far. 


I spent the rest of the weekend priming, painting and distressing my new-to-me antique sideboard.  I added some new knobs.

After a lot of elbow grease, here it is!





I just love it!!  Both Ashley and I have a thing for chunky furniture legs and these legs definitely fit the bill! 




I still need to add some bead board to the back and I need to track down the right hardware that will close the door, but I just LOVE it!  I also have a project planned that will dress up the top of the sideboard.  I'll be back with that once I finish it up.


Thanks Ash!  



I'm linking to the following parties:

The DIY Show Off

Photobucket




12 comments:

  1. This is so cute. Love the size of it. Would fit in my laundry room :) Love those chunky legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on that piece! Adorable sideboard! Gotta love generous friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words... INDIAN GIVER! This is fab-- give it back! -Ash :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this! You are so talented Heather... can't wait to see it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ash, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! HA HA!
    And ANita and Michelle, thanks for the sweet comments. It looks like I may have to fight for my life to keep it from Ashley! Totally kidding, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ash. Love you! And really, thanks for giving it up! I really appreciate it! It's exactly what I had in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the white shabby chic look. You did an excellent job on her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. The power of paint is truly amazing! Beautiful finish and LOVE that nursery. -diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling piece! It is perfect in white and with the new knobs. Looking forward to seeing it with beadboard and whatever else you're planning to do with the top! I really appreciate you linking this up at Stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love it too. wish i can find a sideboard like that. it has gorgeous legs and curves

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it!
    check us out!
    www.moddybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete