Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kitchen Chairs: Painted and Distressed

I finally finished painting and distressing the kitchen chairs. I thought I could finish them last weekend but painting chairs is hard work!  There are so many more nooks and crannies as compared to a table. 


As I posted a few weeks ago, I was on the hunt for chairs that resembled these:


(Image courtesy of Ballard Designs)

The day after I posted this call for help, I found these chairs:


I loved the shape of the backs on these chairs.  As I was searching, my one requirement was that they have woven rush seats... and I found them at a yard sale for $25 per chair.  I ended up selling my glass  kitchen table and chairs to a friend for $75 dollars... so I didn't quite break even, but close enough for the chairs of my dreams!

And here are my chairs, newly painted and distressed:


 
(Ignore the empty bird cage. I'll be filling that up tomorrow with some Fall decor.)

The chairs are painted in a yellow from Home Depot's Behr.  The color is "Pismo Dunes." After I put on three coats of paint (the primer was mixed into the paint) I allowed the paint to dry for about an hour.  Then I began to chip and distress with a paint scraper. After I chipped them up to my satisfaction, I rubbed on some brown furniture stain to give them an aged and smudged look.

I'm so happy with my chairs.  I still plan to put a number on each chair... but I'll save that project for another day.  

My next couple weeks are going to be consumed with going through closets, the shed and the attic in preparation for a yard sale.  Yes, my friend Stacey and I have decided to hold a joint yard sale on October 23rd.  It's time to clear out the clutter!  As this day nears, I hope I don't ask myself, "What was I thinking?"   If anyone has any tips on organizing and throwing a successful yard sale, I'm all ears.  This will be our first sale!




P.S.  Linking to the following blog parties:





The DIY Show Off 




      Between Naps on the Porch
("Between Naps on the Porch" and Metamorphosis Monday" is the same party)

All Thingz Related











giveaways
HookingupwithHoH


A Little Knick Knack





14 comments:

  1. I loved your chairs!! That French country style of chair is my favorite. I am so jealous you found them for only $25.00 a piece :). The paint finish you did on them is perfect! They are really beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! I love what you did to them, they are better than the Ballard ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather! I absolutely love your chairs! I agree with Michelle that they are better than the Ballard ones and they just look so much more custom. Great job!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - I can't believe you got these GORGEOUS chairs for 25 apiece! Good for you! You also did a great job refinishing them. They look great.
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings again -- I just saw that you became a Follower of mine! Thank you, and I am returning the favor immediately. :) I will be back to visit!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out fabulous!!! Thank you so much for telling me that you got them finished. I love the yellow. That is not a color I have a lot of in my house, but I love the way it looks with your table. :) You are now an expert "distresser"! I know you have to just smile each time you look at your masterpieces.
    Enjoy!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Job!! They are worth alot more that $25 now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chairs look great! I love that style too, so glad you were able to find a great deal on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS!!! Love your chairs and how they came out! Just beautiful! Definitely better than the inspiration chairs- I love the finish you put on them. Great job!! Thanks for joining Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty, I love the color. They look a bit similar to a set I found on craigslist that I painted white.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE these! The chippy paint is wonderful and the color is perfect. I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those chairs are awesome! What a great find!! Thanks for joining our party this week!
    {*Rebekah*}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how the chairs turned out! The color looks awesome with the rush seats-fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so in love with the yellow and white table!! So original! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete