Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Cabinet Door Turned Serving Tray

I love to make presents when time allows. It just adds that special touch that purchased presents can't always convey. This Christmas, I'm making three serving trays out of old cabinet doors.

I finished this one for my Mom today:


To make this, I found an old cabinet door at the Habitat For Humanity thrift store.


Then I primed it with one coat of spray primer. Once the primer was dry, I applied two coats of white spray paint that I already had from a previous project.

I picked up the vinyl sticker from The Dollar Store and the black handles were $1.59 each from Home Depot.

It was super easy!  It only took an afternoon.  The most time consuming part of this project was waiting for the paint to dry.

I have one more in the works that I'll be sure to post tomorrow.  This one will read "There's No Place Like Home" for a co-worker/friend that loves to be home with her hubby.  Their love for one another is amazing and for this couple, there really is "no place like home."

And I need to track down one more cabinet door so I can make a third tray for my Mother-in-law.


P.S.  I originally got this idea from here and  here.

4 comments:

  1. How is it possible that something so incredibly cute could cost so little money??!! I have to check and see if my dollar store has any vinyls. I'm sure everyone is going to love their thoughtful, beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute idea! I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Heather! And thanks for passing on the idea!

    Merry Christmas sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Heather! I hope you remembered me telling you I was going to check out your blog...welll...I did :) I wanted to let you know that we have a TON of doors laying around the shop. If we make a wrong size or too many, we throw them into a pile. Let me know if you need anymore. This is a cute idea!! Btw...this is Sarah from the book club :)

    ReplyDelete