Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ironing Board Turned Sofa Table

Hi Friends,

My mom and I decided to do a little antique shopping this afternoon.  I wasn't on the hunt for anything in particular but it had been awhile since I had checked my favorite local shops.  It was long overdue.  Our time was cut short due to a severe weather warning in our area (nothing came to fruition in my particular part of town- thank goodness; however, surrounding areas did get hit hard.)

Even though our time wasn't as long as I had hoped, I didn't leave empty handed.  Our first stop was at a salvage shop by the name of Country Boy Antiques.  In past posts, I've mentioned that this place is down and dirty-- very rough, but I've never remembered to snap a picture of the overflowing storefront... until today:


It's certainly messy; yet, it's my favorite antique shop to visit. I've found some of my best pieces at Country Boy...

Like these shutters:


And this luggage:



I love digging through the junk only to find that one gem that will come home with me. Today, that gem was this:

I know what you're thinking.  Why did she buy an old wooden ironing board?  When I laid eyes on it, I thought, "hmmm, possible sofa table?"

Here it is in place:



(I need to shorten the runner and condition the wood)

This ironing board replaced these...

(This pic is from Christmas, hence the Christmas trees on the table and in the background)

I had two end tables pushed together for a makeshift sofa table, but I was never happy with the height. Plus, if the sofa moved at all when people sat down, one of the tables would get pushed forward making it obvious that it wasn't one piece.  I'll be transferring the tables to the guest room, which is the next room I plan to tackle in our home.

I think I like the ironing board... I'm not quite sure though.  It may take a bit of getting used to.  It's definitely different.

If you're local and you happen to love this idea, Country Boy had 5 or 6 ironing boards left.

What do you guys like better, the ironing board or the white end tables?


P.S.  I thought I'd share this adorable picture with you.

Two mama birds built their nests in our wreaths.  The above picture is from our front door.  The eggs on the side door haven't hatched yet.  These nests and baby birds have delayed the hanging of my spring wreaths... but I guess it's worth it.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I think the ironing board is a super idea! Very creative, and what a conversation piece. :) Good eye...

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to go to Country Boy, but I am not brave enough and I have zero idea what I am looking for! I want to totally redo everything! The good news is that I have a tiny house... Love reading all of your posts!!! Thank you for sharing your life!

    ReplyDelete