Sunday, May 22, 2011

"I'm Lovin' It..."

Hi Friends,


Last night, I had the joy of volunteering with the Ronald McDonald House (RMH) in Norfolk, VA.  


RMH provides a place for families to stay for extended periods of time if they have a child in the hospital. I don't have kids (yet!) but I couldn't imagine the immense burden these families carry every minute of every day.


My friend, Alysha and I made dinner for the fifteen families that are currently staying at the house.


That's me!


And this is Alysha!
 We realized after it was too late that we should have snapped some shots of us actually cooking instead of opening pre-made bread... but you get the idea.

Here's what was on the menu:

Stuffed shells
(Alysha chose the recipe for the stuffed shells. I'll be sure to post the recipe as soon as I can get it from her)

Salad and bread


Sarah's  Blueberry Pie 

Here's the recipe for the blueberry pie. It's so easy! 


(Makes 1 pie) 

1 deep dish pie crust         
Additional sugar for blueberries
3 cups fresh blueberries      
1 egg
½ stick butter, melted     
8 tbsp all purpose flour
¾ cup sugar            
½ tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400º. Pour blueberries into pie crust. Sprinkle some sugar over the top of the blueberries.* Mix remaining ingredients to form batter. Pour batter over blueberries and bake 30 – 40 minutes. Let pie cool partially before serving, so it’s not a runny mess.

So easy! You’ll feel like you’re pouring this glop of stuff over the berries, but it spreads when it cooks, so don’t worry about it. But be ready to pour it on immediately; it does set up a little if it sits and then makes it harder to pour!


I got the recipe from a friend... who got it from a friend... who got it from a friend.  So if you're Sarah, your pie rocks!  In the words of Ronald McDonald, "I'm lovin' it!"



We hope to do this once a month.
If you'd like more information on volunteering with the Ronald McDonald foundation, check out their website.  And if you're local to the Hampton Roads area, here's the Norfolk site.


Enjoy your weekend!

P.S.  I'm spending my Sunday afternoon painting some more cabinets.  I hope to have some more pics to show you in the days to come.

P.S.S.  The pics for this post were taken with a camera phone so sorry for the poor quality.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how sweet of you to do this for those families! As I always tell people: The good Lord will reward you a hundred-fold! (My mother always said this when someone did a good deed!)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohhh I'm local I will check it out!! So nice of yall =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! I just figured out what I'm going to surprise Andrew with this week!

    Ronald McDonald House was my sororitiy's charity in college so I did a lot of volunteering there. Such a great organization.


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stayed A LOT at the "Ron Don" while Maggie was in treatment. I cannot begin to tell you how nice it was to have a real meal - not fast food or hospital food.

    Thank you on behalf of them all! :)

    ReplyDelete