Monday, May 30, 2011

Summer Sweet Mint Tea

Hi Friends!


Happy Memorial Day.  I spent my day at the beach with a friend and our dogs.  It was fabulous!  I hope all of you had a fabulous Memorial Day as well!


The beach that we went to is located on Fort Monroe, an old military base.  The Hampton Roads area (where I live) is a huge military town.  I just want to take this opportunity to thank all the men and women that proudly served our country and in the end gave their lives so we could have our freedom.  Because I live in an area that has many military bases, I also get to witness firsthand the spouses and children that are left behind while their husbands and wives, fathers and mothers leave for months on end... so we also thank you.


We do not take it for granted.  


While Memorial Day is the official day to thank those that lost their lives,  Memorial Day also unofficially marks the start of summer.  Summer is in full swing in Hampton Roads with temps in the 90s  and rising, so I thought I'd share a sweat tea recipe that is guaranteed to make your summer days a bit cooler and a lot sweeter.   This mint iced became a summer staple last summer after my friend Ashley over at It Rocks to Be A Knox shared the recipe with me.  I swore I had shared the recipe with you last year, but after much research  a quick search through the the blog archives I realized that I kept this all to myself.  Sorry about that!


It's so simple!  Just fill a large glass container with water; 6-8 lipton iced tea bags & a handful of fresh mint leaves.






Place it in the sun all day, like so...

Bring it inside right before it gets dark in and add 4-5 cups of sugar or other sweetener.  (Note: don't add the sugar at the start of the day or you'll have an ant infestation.  Don't ask how I know this!)


I made my first pitcher today and I'm enjoying a glass as I write to you.


 Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. The sun was so late coming this season that I forgot all about sun tea! This looks delicious. Thanks for the directions, and the reminder!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete