Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pardon Our Mess: Under Construction (Kitchen Update)

Hi There!

The kitchen is coming along.  I spent ten hours painting today and there's still plenty more to do.  I managed to prime and paint all the cabinets today.  I also painted all the trim and spruced up the breadboard.  I never realized how dingy our paint looked until everything else in the kitchen got a fresh coat of paint!

Here's a reminder of what the kitchen looked like a month ago:




And two weeks ago, it looked like this:

And as of today, here's the progress: 
(I'm keeping it real with all the junk piled high on the countertops.  I had to empty drawers as I painted)



 But today's tasks didn't stop with cabinets.  Nothing was safe from the the brush and the roller.  You may remember talk of painting the kitchen floor in a previous post.  Well, I took the plunge and started priming the floor today. There's no turning back now!  Here's what the floor looked like before I took a roller to it:

I couldn't stand the orangey cheap teak wood flooring that the previous owners installed... especially because it butted up to real wood floors.  It wasn't in the budget to tile or install real wood...but you know what?  I'm not sure I would install tile or wood even if I had the moolah.  I'm kind of diggin' the thought of the a painted floor.  Just one more beach cottage detail that I'm bringing into our home.

Here's the primed floor:

You can't tell in the picture, but the wide boards really show through the primer.  It's looking really great already!

This is the look I'm going for:

I still haven't settled on a color of the diamonds yet... but this one from The Painted Home is really calling my name:


Ellen from Designing Main Street spotted this amazing distressed painted floor and said she immediately thought of me.  Gotta love good blog friends!

 I need to make the color decision soon; but no matter what, I think the painted floor will fit right in with the painted stairs that I tackled last year.  

 I have a lot more work to do and a deadline creeping up on me because of the hubby's 30th birthday that I'm hosting right here at The Cozy Cape in just a few short weeks.  

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! I'll be back with another update in the next couple of days... hopefully with some color on the floor!

2 comments:

  1. Looks nicer with the white cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! Nice theme and all kitchen ideas is so amazed. I really like white cabinet, All pictures give us unique ideas.Kitchen remodeling Austin

    ReplyDelete