Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sweet Treats for the 4th

Hey There,

The last two weeks have been busy at the Boyd house... but more on that later (in another post).   Let's PARTY!  Yesterday, the hubs and I went to the the annual neighborhood block party.  It was our first time and we had a BLAST!  We've lived in our home for six years and it was the first time we really have met our neighbors, other than the occasional hand wave.  They provided the hot dogs and hamburgers and we were asked to bring a side... and I knew exactly what I was going to make:

Red, white and blue rice crispy pops.  

Here's how these yummy treats were made.

Make the rice crispy treats as normal.  I used this recipe.

Melt marshmallows:





Mix in rice crispy treats and quickly put them into a baking dish.  
You must work fast because it drives fast.  I used some wax paper to mold and shape the treats because it peels off easily as they treats cool.

Place treats in the freezer for 30 minutes. The frozen treats are easier to cut.

Once I chiseled the frozen treats out of the dish...


I cut them into into rectangles.  

Here's where it went downhill the first time around. 
This pretty picture from  Twig & Thistle led me astray.  
(Photo courtesy of Twig & Thistle)

See how lengthy and skinny they are? Yeah... well, that blogger has skills because that didn't work for me.  Once I dipped the long treats, the warm chocolate melted the marshmallows.  They were so top heavy and the thin treats couldn't support the chocolate.  They were in the trash so fast! I wish I snapped a picture of my less than edible treats.  Whoops. Just use your imagination.  

Sooo... I went to bed and tried again in the morning.  I aimed for less rectangle and more square treats.   I dipped away and let them dry on wax paper.   

And success!


I arranged them in a sweet treat bouquet.  
They were a hit at the party.  Not-a-one was left at the end of the night.

You still have time to make these for your 4th of July bash!

Have a safe and fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment